Our Vimeo Channel: The Goldseekers
Our U Tube Channel: TheGoldseekers
The Crystal Gold Mine, near Kellogg, Idaho was the first hard rock mine explored in the Silver Valley, dug out by a small group of unknown prospectors. Worked during the 1880’s, closed by hiding the mine, it was rediscovered in 1991, reclaimed in 1996, and opened as a tourist historical attraction.
No one knows how much gold this mine produced, but considering how much was left when the mine was closed there must have been quite a lot.
The miners vanished, left all the equipment in the mine and sealed the entrance of the mine. They more than likely had intentions to come back and reopen the mine. The mine was so well hidden that it was not rediscovered until 1991. Today a guide will take you through the mine, where they explain what mining was like in the early years.
The Silver Valley became the largest silver producing area in the world. After 100 years of mining the Silver Valley produced over one billion ounces of silver alone with some lead, zinc and copper.
If you would like to learn more about mining operations in the 1800's this is the place to go.
The Crystal Gold Mine
A video on the Crystal Gold Mine
The Rawhide Claim
The Rawhide claim was staked by G.W. Rumberger and associates in 1891. It was restaked in 1893 by R. Denzler, D. McInnes and W. Gibbs. Incorporated in 1899, The Dominion Copper Company, Limited, operated the mine until 1908. In 1909, the New Dominion Copper Company, Limited reopened the mine and it operated until closing in 1918. From 1904 to 1916, production totaled 842,122 tons, yielding 2,328 lbs of gold, 15,234 lbs of silver and 831 tons of copper. In 1928, Pacific Tidewater Mines, Limited optioned the claim.
In 1959 Continental Consolidated Mines acquired the Rawhide and from 1960 to 1962, The Granby Mining Company Limited mined on a royalty basis. Production during this time is included with the Phoenix. In 1963, Granby purchased the claim.
The Rawhide claim, consist of several large stopes and glory holes accessed by approximately 4593 feet of tunneling on seven levels. The difference between No. 1 level and No. 6 level is 241 feet. The ore bins were on a spur line of the CPR (which is now the haul road) which were connected to No. 6 tunnel by a gravity tramway. No. 3 and No. 4 tunnels had ore shoots down to No. 1. The No. 1 tunnel was at the same level as the ore bins. Horses were used on the upper levels and an electric unit was used on the No 1.
Here is a video on the Rawhide Mine
Vintage Singer Sewing Machine
The Monarch Mine
The Monarch Mine is near the Aetna, Rawhide, and Gold Drop Claims. In 1897 the Monarch was crown granted to R. Humphrey. In 1904 the claim was bought by The Granby Consolidated Mining, Smelting & Power Company. All production is included with the Phoenix. The original workings were accessed from drifts at the base of an inclined two compartment 98 foot shaft. A rise from the Monarch drift at the Gold Drop Mine joined the main tunnel at the Monarch allowing the ore to pass to the Curlew portal,
The ore from the Monarch carried 1.17% copper, .04 troy ounce per ton gold, 0.45 troy ounces silver per ton.
Rebuilding a Delco CS-130 Alternator
A video on The Monarch Mine
The Snowshoe Gold & Copper Mines Limited, a subsidiary of The British Columbia (Rossland and Slocan) Syndicate Limited, was incorporated in 1901. In 1906, the Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company of Canada Ltd. leased the property until it closed in 1911. Total production during this time was 600,902 tons, yielding 2,830 pounds of gold, 10,913 pounds of silver and 6,968 tons of copper.
In 1913 the Granby Consolidated Mining, Smelting and Power Company Limited purchased the property but did not operate it at the time. W.E. McArthur acquired the property in the 1930's and in 1951 Attwood Copper Mines Limited acquired it. The Granby optioned the property in 1955 and conducted mining operations in 1959, and then again from 1962 to 1964.
The Snowshoe Mine included several open cuts, glory holes, two shafts and a series of stopes accessed by 9,850 feet of tunneling. Operations seized in 1911.
Between 1957 and 1964, surface excavations, including a 230 by 394-foot pit resulted in the production of about 297,624 ton of low grade ore from the southern part of the claim.
The Snowshoe Mine is a continuation of the one developed in the Curlew, Rawhide, and Gold Drop Mines. It is considered as one ore body.
The Snowshoe Mine
How I rebuilt a Delco CS-130 Alternator
In 1986 GM introduced the new, 105 amp CS-130 Delcotron alternator. The CS-130 Alternator was the replacement for the Delco-Remy Type SI Series alternators that had been used since 1971. The SI could not keep up with the increased electrical demands. There is also a 120 amp CS-144 for equipment that needs a lot of power.
Delco type CS-130 and CS-130D alternators were used from 1986 to 2004. The CS-130 was mainly used from 1986 to 1996 and the CS-130D was mainly used from 1994 to 2000.